E.ON Dél-dunántúli Gázhálózati Zrt.'s primary activity is gas supply.
Gas lights were first lit and gas supply started in the supply area of E.ON Dél-dunántúli Gázhálózati Zrt. in 1870 in Pécs, using coal gas produced by the so-called coking process.
It was not until the mid-1980's that natural gas supplanted town gas, which was first made by the carbonization of coal, then by the gasification of gasoline in the 70's and of natural gas in the 80's.
The changes in the company's name aptly reflect the characteristics of the various eras the company has witnessed, turning from what had been known as the Coal Gas Association or Coal Gas Factory into a Gas Works. In 1949, the company was officially called the Pécs Gas Works, while 20 years later people referred to it as the South-Transdanubian Gas Manufacturing and Supply Company. This went with the additional responsibility of supplying Fejér, Tolna, and Baranya counties besides Pécs, which had previously constituted the company's entire supply area.
The company went public in 1993 and was privatized in 1996, with a consortium of Ruhrgas and VEW purchasing the majority of its shares. The current majority shareholder of Dél-dunántúli Gázhálózati Zrt. is E.ON Hungária Zrt.
The company's main tasks include system operation, network development and maintenance, regional customer relations management, as well as tasks in regard to metering and monitoring consumption.